If you’ve witnessed or been the victim of crime, you can now report it to Wiltshire Police online.  This service is for 101, non emergency incidents and is checked every 30 minutes.

You are encouraged to report any incidents, no matter how small you think they are, so that we can continue to keep our community and our residents as safe as possible.

All you have to do is answer a few quick questions through the link below to find out the best way to get in touch.  The kind of information you provide Wiltshire Police with plays a huge part in how they plan their policing.

Please click this link to find out more.


999 or 101?

Emergency  –  999

Call 999 if:

  • a serious offence is in progress or has just been committed
  • someone is in immediate danger or harm
  • property is in danger of being damaged
  • a serious disruption to the public is likely

If you’re deaf or hard of hearing, use our textphone service 18000 or text us on 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergencySMS service.

Non-emergency  –  101

Call 101 for non-emergency enquiries.

If you’re deaf or hard of hearing, use our textphone service on 18001 101.