Age UK Wiltshire have issued some information that may be helpful to older residents in Trowbridge and across the county:
- They are supporting clients to apply for the Wiltshire Surviving Winter Grant this year (in partnership with Wiltshire Community Foundation and Wiltshire Warm & Safe) which, if applying through Age UK Wiltshire, is a one-off grant of £150 (up to £250 for some clients). They can support clients who meet all the following criteria:
- over pension age (client and/or partner)
- have household income (excluding disability benefits) less than £16,190pa OR in receipt of a means-tested benefit
- considered to be in fuel poverty by AUKW– e.g. high heating costs, struggling to afford to heat their home adequately, hard-to-heat homes, significantly underusing heating.
- able to provide evidence of their means-tested benefit and a suitable bank account to pay the money into
Additionally, Age UK Wiltshire are continuing to take applications for their free telephone befriending service and are branching out into other things like telephone book groups, although there is now a short waiting list. They can also refer into free Age UK national telephone befriending. They are still supporting clients with Attendance Allowance/DLA application forms which is now done through free telephone appointments: turnaround time for contacting and completing an appointment is around two weeks or less (with it being backdated to the date of referral).
The charity will continue to offer telephone and email advice and support in the usual areas of advice, for example welfare benefits for older people, housing options and issues and care and support options.