On Wednesday December 8th, the UK Government confirmed that England would be moved to Plan B, due to the rapid spread of the new COVID-19 variant Omicron. Early analysis by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) suggests rates could be doubling every 2.5 to 3 days.
Plan B will help to slow the spread of the variant and reduce the chances of the NHS coming under unsustainable pressure, while providing more time for people to receive their booster vaccination. This is a fast-moving situation and everyone is being urged to follow the latest measures to help keep everyone safe.
The simple measures taken throughout this pandemic are still important:
- wash hands regularly
- wear face coverings where required
- taking lateral flow tests regularly
- getting vaccinated and the booster when eligible
- self-isolating and getting a PCR test when displaying any symptoms
- letting fresh air in when meeting people indoors.